Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I have other interests besides the Foreign Service, namely fitness

After that last long post, I thought I'd write about something lighter, something I spend a lot of time on these days. Fitness. And no, I am not some exercise guru or anything like that. I didn't even start exercising until I was 27. I was the kid in school that "ran" the mile in 13 minutes and spent the rest of the day with a bright red face. I hated exercise because it had no place in the goth/punk/straight edge/new wave scene that I longed to be part of.

Anyway, fast forward to the present. I like exercise because I love food. I exercise to eat. Yeah, I know about the health benefits, the endorphins, the energy boost - all good things. But the bottom line is that I love food, especially nibbly things like hummus and carrots, salsa and chips, Trader Joe's anything, nuts, fruit. So I've been working out a few days a week for the past five years - always in my home because I'm too lazy to go to the gym or perhaps too scared to (see this morning's article in the New York Times). With all the time on my hands, though, my workouts have intensified and now include cardio in addition to strength training. My favorites right now are Jillian Michaels' No More Trouble Zones and Denise Austin: Boot Camp. The former is definitely more intense, but both are great calorie burners!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe I should try out a few of those home workouts. Any other recommendations for a not too coordinated woman? (no grape-vine left, punch right, oops, there goes the lamp!) ;-)

    ReplyDelete