Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Raising a child in the Foreign Service

I'm currently reading through the Department of State's Education Options for Foreign Service Family Members and thinking about all that is involved with raising "third culture kids." One of the motivating factors for joining the FS has been the opportunities my son will be exposed to, from learning new languages to making meaningful contacts around the world. My husband and I view this a bit differently due to our own backgrounds. As a naturalized citizen, I grew up far away from extended family, have lived in a variety of places within the U.S. and have worked abroad. Moving is not a big deal for me and being far from my parents and friends is a normal way of life. My husband, on the other hand, really cherishes his home town (it's where we met...at the public library) and the community he grew up in. He doesn't have any trouble answering the question "where are you from?" There are benefits and disadvantages to both lifestyles and lots of lessons to learn.

Of course, things will be more complicated as a tandem couple in the FS. Particularly since my position will be regional and will, most likely, require me to travel 60% of the time. There will be lots of things to iron out such as childcare, schooling, help at home. Perhaps I am an optimist, but I think we will make it work!

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Just found your blog via "I'll take mine...to go". Just wanted to offer best wishes that you hear something soon. Also, think you have a great attitude going into the FS lifestyle!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I found your blog while I was searching for any information on IROs. I'm on the register too and like you the waiting driving me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for reading my blog and best of luck to you in this crazy waiting game!

    ReplyDelete